Tuesday, June 16, 2009

2nd chemo session cyclophosphamide

Megat's blue bandage at the site of his IV catheter is reminicent of wounded POWs...
"I know what you are up to san. Don't think I don't!"
Megat at his hanging basket right after dinner.

Megat sitting with me after his supplements. Furgive and furrget...


Megat's haematology test gave his wbc count as 3.26 from last week's 1.88 so he was able to undergo his 2nd IV of cyclophosphamide or Endoxan. His platelets were down to 68 from last week's 90. His rbc was the highest in 3 weeks at 6.70. His weight was also down to 3.5 from 3.63 kg. The doc was not worried though about his other vitals saying that Megat was otherwise ok. I asked the doc about his stools and she checked. She said that she did not feel a lot of them so I guess he was able to go do the necessary. I had been worrying about his constipation as I had not been able ascertain if he had indeed gone and done the job last week.
I was able to be with him throught the whole IV process and I was glad that he was a very good patient. He had three rounds of blood taking as the pressure in his lower leg was too low. Also the pressure in one of his neck veins was no good as the doc put it. So she got blood from his jugular. THAT was fast and furious. Throughout all this Megat seemed unperturbed.
She gave him the Endoxan and told me that the side effects would be vomitting, a little anorexia and diarrhea. She also said that as the drug would go through his bladder, he mght get a little blood in his urine but I was not to be alarmed. I was to make sure that he drinks water regularly as if not his uterine system would get a little irrtated and that would be where the blood would come in. Then she flushed out his sytem with 2 vials of saline solution and gave him an anti-emetic, Metomide. Throughout the process, he was quiet and of course he earned alot of praises from everyone.
At the end of the whole thing, Dr Ly came in and spoke to Dr P about his patient that was also undergoing chemotheraphy and that his patient was doing very well indeed. Dr P told me that she hoped Megat would have the same results :)
Of course he still has to take prednisolone but only 1/2 a tab per day.
We decided that apart from his usual supplements tonight, Megat would have to take about 20 ml of water in a syringe. Of cos I think after his fussing, we got only about 15 ml of water. But that was quite a success as he also would have the water from the mashed papaya and the water in which I had diluted the mushroom tablet. He also had his usual portion of ling zhi.
I am glad to report that even now he has forgiven me all that fuss and is now sitting by my side , asking for a good round of brushing...

5 comments:

cat_aunty said...

That sounds good news indeed!! Fight, Megat, fight!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that of an uneventful session at the vet. All the best Megat.

KXBC said...

Sounds like good news.

san said...

dear all

thanks for the good wishes :) Actually the only good news for us is that there is nothign else wrong with him apart from all that is wrong already. I was afarid the doc might find something else that needs tending to :) His wbc is up so that is good but if his platelets lie below 100, he would not be able to have the last one for this series. The doc said that it is usual for cats to have alternate low wbc because of the chemo. So it look like twice the length of time for his first series. It should take 8 weeks but now I think it will be 16 weeks for his first series only. I would only know if its good news if something positive happens and we see it in the first ultra sound, which will be a long time still.

Mary said...

san you must be strong for Megat :) Do know there are many people who loves Megat.